Christmas Clams Casino
Posted by Taylor Shellfish
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 ounces sliced pancetta or bacon, finely chopped
- 1 cup finely diced red bell pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped shallots
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 4 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 18 medium Taylor Manila Clams, shucked, bottom shells reserved
- Heat the oil in a heavy large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the pancetta and saute until crisp and golden, about 3 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the pancetta to a plate.
- Add the bell pepper, shallots, garlic, and oregano to the same skillet.
- Saute until the shallots are tender and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the wine and simmer until it is almost evaporated, about 2 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and cool completely.
- Stir the reserved pancetta and 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese into the vegetable mixture.
- Season the mixture, to taste, with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F.
- Line a heavy large baking sheet with foil.
- Arrange the clams in the reserved shells on the baking sheet.
- Spoon the vegetable mixture atop the clams, dividing equally and mounding slightly.
- Sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons of Parmesan.
- Bake until the clams are just cooked through and the topping is golden, about 10 minutes.
- Arrange the clams on the platter and serve.
Recipe Courtesty: Taylor Chef's Club